Therese of the Child Jesus, virgin and doctor – October 1st
St Therese of the Child Jesus (d. 1897, Lisieux, France) (Relics: Lisieux, France)
First Class Relics
Monastère du Carmel de Lisieux
(Carmelite Monastery of Lisieux)
37 Rue du Carmel
14100 Lisieux, France
*St Therese lived and prayed in this convent with her Carmelite community from 1888 to 1897. Today the majority of her relics rest within a golden casket in the chapel at this convent below the statue of her likeness.
Basilique Sainte-Therese de Lisieux
(Basilica of Saint Therese of Lisieux)
Avenue Jean XXIII
14100 Lisieux, France
*The right arm bones of St Therese are enshrined within an impressive reliquary in this basilica.
Churches of Honor in Rome
Santissima Trinità dei Monti
(Most Holy Trinity of the Mounts)
Piazza della Trinità dei Monti
*This church is at the top of the Spanish Steps.
*A painting of Our Lady called Mater Admirabilis is preserved within the convent chapel. St Therese of the Child Jesus (d. 1897) knelt in front of this painting during her visit to Rome and beseeched God for the grace to enter the convent at the age of 15. To visit this chapel enter the door at the Instituto Del Sacro Cuore. This door is not reached by the staircase to the church but by a second staircase on the left side.
Santa Cecilia in Trastevere
(Saint Cecilia in Trastevere)
Piazza di Santa Cecilia 22
*This church is located in the southern part of Trastevere.
*St Therese of the Child Jesus visited this church during her trip to Rome as a child. The chapel in the right transept honors her memory with a beautiful statue of her.
*This church is built over the ruins of the house that St Cecilia had lived in prior to her martyrdom.
*In 821 the body of St Cecilia was exhumed from the Catacombs of San Callisto by Pope St Paschal I (d. 824) and returned to this church. Today her remains rest within the crypt under the main altar.
Santa Maria della Vittoria (Our Lady of the Victory)
Via XX Settembre 17
*This church is north of Piazza della Repubblica.
*The first chapel on the right side of the nave is dedicated to St Therese of the Child Jesus.
*Also located in this church is Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s famous sculpture entitled The Ecstasy of St Teresa.